Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Getting Started 2 -- Introduction

So you’re thinking about trying triathlons.

As a little background about myself, I never considered myself to be an athlete growing up. When I graduated college, started working an 8-5 job and had some free time on my hands, a good friend encouraged me to sign up for the Danskin Women’s triathlon. We “trained” (quite comically now that I look back at it…more on that later) and I completed my first sprint tri in 2006. That race became a springboard that gave me the confidence to continue getting healthy and challenging my body to be better. Now my race count to date is seven—six sprint-distance triathlons and one olympic-distance triathlon. It’s safe to say that I have the bug.

The hardest leg for me emotionally and physically is the run, and it will probably always be that way. But, I have to say that doing triathlons is much easier than any long-distance running I’ve ever done because it allows you to use different muscle groups throughout the three legs of the race. That’s the beauty of a tri. Don’t get me wrong, it’s challenging to keep moving for such a long period of time, but the feeling you have at the end is indescribable. I’ve cried at every finish line.

As Christina said, there are a few things you need to know as you get started. For searchability reasons, I’m going to start a new post all about attire so it’s easier to go back and find.

For now, congratulations on your decision to be a triathlete and thanks for joining us on our journey, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment